Tuesday 18 August 2015

A boy and his tiger

There is a a big (metaphorical) clock ticking down in the Sunburnt Tiger household currently - in September we are expecting our first child! It's a magical mix of excitement and panic that's a bit hard to believe or really comprehend. So whilst my wife is doing the most important and creative job I can imagine it's hard not to feel a little left out of the process. If you'll indulge an analogue I'm like the second wheel on the unicycle of gestation - hopefully I make the whole thing a little easier but am not actually required.
When we first started talking about having a family I thought that I'd really like to paint a mural for the nursery. I've always liked painting and writing on walls, I'm not really sure why! I had seen this kids bedroom and the idea was firmly planted - Calvin and Hobbes. I love Calvin and Hobbes. So here then are a few pictures, I hope you like them.

The room was pretty pink and pretty disgusting, full of holes and grime.

Decorating done I scaled up Bill Watterson's painting. Pencil first... then colour...
 

...then black. Hobbes was finished first... followed by Calvin and the tree.

The finished thing looks like this, the baby's crib will go in that corner so most of the tree trunk and grass will be unseen.
  

If you want to see more pictures or larger ones you can see them on my Flickr page.

All that remains is for me to put up some curtains and build some more furniture and then I'm about as ready as I can be for my little Sunburnt Tiger Cub!

No comments: